Carson was so excited for kindergarten. i feel like his excitement for school has been squelched. He is no longer excited to go, he comes home upset and dejected and he is always getting into trouble. His teacher suggested to me that maybe Carson should just spend the rest of the year at home and try again next year. I wasn't sure that I wanted to take him out of school because he cant hold still and he gets distracted. When i talk to the teacher she says things like "Carson cant focus on his work he just wants to play." or "he pout or hides from me when i want him to do something or he is in trouble." when i talk to Carson he says things like "my teacher is mean." I wish my teacher wouldn't get mad at me." "i don't want to go to school, I'll get in trouble." or "mom i get in trouble when i laugh."
so....I called the school counselor again to talk to her about my options. She listened to me and talked to me and by the end we decided that maybe Carson and his teacher are perpetuating the problem because of the way they seem to be interacting. Carson is a busy body who would rather play then work and his teacher is nice but a firm relentless hand. (which is good but i think its too much for Carson's tender heart.) so we are going to switch teachers and see what happens. He may have the same issues and then we will know that maybe Carson is to immature for school. Or he may thrive in a new environment where he doesn't feel picked on.
December is the trial period in the new class, we will then reevaluate Carson and what he needs. wish me luck this is so hard for me, I want to do the right thing for my child. when it comes down to it i don't care about the school work, i don't care about the maturity, i care that he is happy and enjoying life. he has the most contagious laugh and joy for life i don't want that to be forced out of him. wish me luck.
8 comments:
Oh Heidi...that is so hard. Poor Carson! I don't want him to feel like he's a bad kid just because he has energy! That happens to a lot of boys. I think it's a good idea to switch teachers.
Oh, Heidi! Have you ever considered homeschool? I know that it may sound overwhelming (which I thought too for many years before I actually started doing it)...but it's really not, and your little Carson sounds like it would be the perfect fit for him. You don't want him to lose his love for learning just because he doesn't fit into the "mold" of what the schools say the kindergartners should be. And there are sooo many fun, fun curriculums to choose from to help you! Truly, for me, homeschooling is one of the best decisions I have made in 21 years of parenting. I wish that I had started from the very beginning. Anyway, if you are interested, I have some excellent books that I can recommend to you.
Oh...my heart breaks for him. They expect sooooo much out of kindergardners. Sophie's K- teacher was just telling me that even in the last five years, it has changed. He is five years old what can the expect? I hope that the teacher switch will help. Good luck (and let's do something I'll call you today sometime!)
I think switching teachers is a GREAT idea. I hope that it works. Carson is such a sweet kid. I hope he will start to enjoy school!
That's SO hard and I totally understand because I have three like that! I have been lucky to work at the school and know the teachers, plus they have had good luck with teachers. Tom says he remembers getting in trouble all the time and he didn't ever know why. I'm with you too, who cares about the work, we want our kids to feel loved! I hope the new teacher works out!!!
That's a tough situation...best of luck!
should have gone to Chamisa... a much better institution. Where all children are encouraged to grow and thrive in a loving environment. Down with Pinon-poopers
nate had a similar situation only i didn't act soon enough, nate lost all his friends and was crying and screaming at home by the end of it. the teacher was just plain picking on nate for EVERY single little thing AND the kids followed suit. i feel like a loser for not taking it into my own hands and switching him earlier. the teacher and i ended badly but i didn't care and now nate has friends this year, and does his work at school. it's amazing what changing the poor kid out of that class did for him.
Post a Comment